Thursday, December 01, 2005

reaction to Manovich's article

The language of New Media

This beginning of this article gave a clear look on what new media is. We know that new media is always changing, so what today is new media will soon not be anymore. Manovich said, "In short, media became new media." That is really a perfect way to put it when referring to when the Daguerrotype combined with the Analytical Engine and when the Cinematographic met the Tabulator. When something no longer has a restircted function or when its functions expand, it becomes new media.

I'm not sure if I agree with everything Manovich says about a new media project in regards to its Numerical Representation, Modulation, Automation, Variability, and Transcoding. I think a new media project could do without having all these be true. Number Representation is the principle that I question the most. How do you put an idea into an equation. Many of our projects start out extremely conceptual, and I'd like to know the numbers that go with those ideas. Also in his automation section he describes that intent can be taken away in many cases. Happy surprises happen, but this idea says a new media project isn't one after all if things go EXACTLY according to plan.

As far as Manovich describes my project is far from new media. In many regards, he's right. I do need some pushing of the envelope and need to add something more than just a simple film program to a place that doesn't have one yet. I want to push the interactivity, but not force it. I do want the kids to consider viewing space and presentation when thinking about making a film, but starting off easy and working towards that is most practical.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home